Thursday, June 5, 2008

Our mom...

Greetings dear family and friends! After trying for months to figure out a way to keep in touch with all of you and keep you all updated on mom, I've finally realized that this is probably the answer! I can hop online at anytime, write what's going on in our lives, and you all can read it at your own convenience! Perfect!!

Mom has been living back here in NE with me, in the family home, since fall of last year. My wonderful aunt Arlene and her husband Dick have been staying with us since January, and she is an absolute blessing. I have learned so much from her and her incredible nursing skills! She keeps such a wonderful eye on mom, making sure she's always comfortable, keeping track of all the complexities of this disease. I am so thankful for her!!

Let me back up. Here's a brief intro into our most complicated year. Back in the fall of '06, our mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Being the girl, and having no full time work [I had just moved back from AK to spend time with family for a bit], I traveled to Portland to help mom through her surgery. She came through surgery with flying colors, and did all post-cancer treatments with a nutritional approach. I came back to NE for a bit, but mom was experiencing extreme fatigue while out in OR. She ended up having a heavy metals test and tested off the charts in lead, mercury and other metals. Mom had all of her mercury fillings removed and improved greatly! However, her balance was still getting worse, and she was starting to fall. After numerous tests, doctors finally diagnosed mom with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

What is ALS? ALS (Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis), more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a fatal neurodegenerative disease affecting some 5,000 new patients annually. The nerve transmissions from the brain and spinal cord to the muscles are blocked, causing the muscles to atrophy, or wither away. The brain is never affected, so no matter how weak a person gets or how much muscles atrophy, they are always aware and alert. The progression of deterioration is different with every patient, but the end result is always the same.

On June 16, 2007 we were shocked to wake up and learn that our father had slipped off to heaven in his sleep. Mom was able to come to the funeral, still walking, but with some assistance. The service was a beautiful celebration of his life and those he held dear to his heart. After the funeral, mom flew back to OR, and I quickly followed with my car. I stayed with her throughout the summer, helping her get to appointments and downsizing/packing up her house. Ben, my older brother, came out to OR for a family vacation with his own family and in-laws. At the end of their time, he helped drive the truck back to the family home here in Bellevue, NE. Mom and I have been here ever since, getting her settled and trying to stay on top of her ever changing needs.

Since coming back to NE, mom's needs have definitely changed. Her body has gotten much weaker, and though she can still stand up and try to stretch her legs, she is definitely in a wheelchair full time. I will continue from this point in updating you on life here.

I would like to close with one of mom's favorite Bible verses...Ps. 91. "He that dwelleth in the secret place shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." Though this has been a difficult year, it has been one filled with many blessings. We look forward to not only keeping you posted on mom's condition, but also of the many blessings God is giving us.

Love to you all!

6 Comments:

Blogger timpgod said...

I LOVE YOU MOMMA!

June 6, 2008 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Shana said...

Hi Westsssssss! I love your blog. It's a great way to keep in touch with everyone who cares about ya'll. FYI...if you haven't already, check out the Caring Bridges Website. It's amazing, and makes it easy for the computer illiterate to sign a guest book for Yvonne...it also sends email updates to everyone each time you post something new. Just a thought.
Lots of love (of course, only in a appropriate boundary sort of way) ;) See ya' soon.
shana.

June 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Cadi + 4 said...

I think it looks great and you'll be a pro blogger in no time. I've forwarded your email to all my family that I have addresses for. Give your mom a hug for me.

Cadi

June 6, 2008 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Sami Hahn said...

Hey gater - love the blog. Give your mom and yourself a big hug. Later. sami

June 6, 2008 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto what Dave said.

June 8, 2008 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger Myrna and Don Ross said...

Yvonne

I have just signed up . I will
think of somthing profound to say on my next visit. We do miss not having you drop in from TN. Don

June 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home