Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sleepy Mom...

I love my mom. She has put up with so much already, and this past week I've been on a HUGE caffeine rush as I frantically finish this class...oh, and I've been unable to help with her due to my poison ivy issue. Thank goodness for family!! There's just something pretty darn cool about that "unconditional love" thing! :) I am still working on the final draft of my research paper, but the final is taken...and I did pretty good! I'm a HUGE perfectionist so am kicking myself for not getting 100%, but missing one isn't bad...esp. considering this past week...I'll keep saying that over and over until it clicks. :)

Mom slept pretty good last night. She woke up at 2:15 am overheated, but once we got the blanket off of her and just a towel over her knees, she slept until 7 am! She occasionally wakes up for sips of water [this dry mouth stuff is beyond annoying], but was able to get right back to sleep. Yesterday was a big "mucus issue" day, as today has also been. We are going to start using the cough assist machine more often during the day in hopes to help keep the mucus from building up so much...in hopes that the nights are easier on her. She is back to sleeping sitting up, which hurts her poor tush (but she looks so cute while she does it!). Poor thing...she just can't seem to ever give her tush a break.

We now require two caregivers/people to move mom; to help get her situated in bed, to get her to the bathroom, etc. (mom can't even push herself up in bed anymore). Have I mentioned lately how incredibly thankful I am for Arlene?!?!!!! I have been "unclean" all week, watching in amazement at the amount of care and sensitivity she shows mom. That is one great nurse, and a pretty darn special lady. My contagious rash is finally going away [hooray for steroids] and I am finally feeling much better and am looking forward to helping spell Arlene more. I can't help but wonder if this rash came along to help grant me the time needed for this class...but an angel flapping down here to help out instead would have been appreciated and a lot less itchy!

The other night [Tuesday?] a dear friend, Diane, brought over 2 of the cutest little kittens for mom to play with. They are about 12 weeks old [a boy, Fritz, and a girl, Fran] and though they enjoy playing, they were quite content to sleep in mom and Arlene's arms.

Towards the end of their visit, Fran woke up a bit and played with a shoestring mom had for her...too cute! We all enjoyed our visit from the little, fuzzy wonders. We're actually thinking of keeping them for a few days...Diane has rescued them [they are up for adoption!] and they just made mom smile so much!

Mom and I are currently sitting in the kitchen; me typing away for her, her trying [without much luck] to get comfortable in her chair, with her oxygen on. She had physical therapy today, so didn't get a nap in...she's so sleepy. Ok...another coughing fit in there. I really don't care for those...they are just downright scary. I love my mom so much...

It's raining again, and I'm happy to say my car is IN the garage!!! I know it's a silly thing, but I sure do love that car! [Cadi...it's an '06 Toyota Rav4, blue..super cute. I'll post pics later for you!]

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Martha,

Thanks so much for letting me know what is going on! I was heartbroken when I got your first email with the news. Please tell Yvonne I am praying for her! I am also praying for you and Arlene as you care for her, I am sure you are exhausted many days. I am still in Dayton, by the way, right behind the brown house where your mom first lived when I met here. I am working for a great dentist (I have worked with him for three years now) and I just got married in January to a red head! He is my prayer warrior and I told him about you and your mom and we are covering you all in prayer. Thank you for keeping us informed!
Love,
Cassie

June 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home