Monday, September 1, 2008

Prayer...

Mom...my dear, strong, amazing mom...I don't think she's going to be here on earth much longer. Arlene was surprised that she made it through the night...and we're making adjustments as we don't think there's any way we can get her out of bed today, for any reason. They let me sleep 5 hours straight last night! I woke up with a start, and rushed upstairs to find mom with her eyes closed, but tossing and turning. Her last round of meds didn't help her sleep like they usually do. I talked with her, and even managed to get a prayer out [yesterday that was a wee bit of a challenge...good stuff in my head, but had a hard time vocalizing it]. I sat next to her, holding her hand and whispering to her...knowing that she can hear me.

Last night was another rough one for mom..she didn't even want the music on, which she always listens to [Jeff...that's your CD of hymns I'm talking about...how she loves those!]. This morning Arlene came in and talked with mom...mom opened her eyes and can blink responses, but they're pretty slow. This is yet another reason I dislike this disease! Mom's body is shutting down fast, yet her amazing brain, full of information I haven't gotten enough of, is still 1,000% there.

There's no telling how much longer we have, but mom's breathing is so shallow...and her pulse racing so much...we don't think we have too much longer. I'm taking turns sitting with mom this morning...and when not sitting there, I'm out in the kitchen, trying to get my "sub friendly" lesson plans done so I don't have to go to work. I know, I shouldn't be worrying about these, but they need to get done...and they're kinda a good distraction from the constant flow of tears.

A very dear friend of mom's wrote this to us yesterday...stuff we all know, yet was so good to hear again...
"When you comment about how we wonder why God allows situations to come into our lives, I have learned that sometimes it is to reach/influence someone that we would not even be aware their spirit was being touched for God through our circumstances. (But, I also know that does not make it any less difficult for you, where you're at presently)."

Mom was always one to help others, it makes sense that in her final days, God is using her still.
Her friend also wrote a great prayer for mom.... "I guess my prayer for your mom is that she can simply fall asleep in Jesus' arms without struggle and wake in the light of Glory where she can behold all Heaven is."

Keep lifting mom up in your prayers...

~~~Mom's heartbeat is still really strong, but the rest of her has pretty much shut down. We put a catheter in today...you can tell she still has muscle control and she can still look at us, just can't respond. Our dear caregiver said to watch for her heartbeat slowing...she's seen patients continue like this for days with a strong heartbeat. We all know how strong mom's heart is, now I'm just praying God weakens a bit so she can finally be home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Those prayers are coming! And, Martha, your sweet mother has been such an inspiratation. I can not tell you how much your/her story touches my spirit.

September 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger pixelartist said...

likewise, we too, are praying continually for you, Yvonne, Arlene, Dick, Dave, Ben, etc...
[virtual hug]

September 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home