Friday, July 18, 2008

She made it!

Thank goodness for the power of prayer. We have been so incredibly blessed with such amazing neighbors...this morning at 6 am, before mom, Arlene and a friend went to the hospital, our wonderful neighbor Maureen and Jill came over and prayed with mom. We found out later today, that they then went for a very long walk, taking turns praying for mom, the doctors, and that HIS will be done. What a blessing they are!!! The good news? Mom went it, and came home...and everything turned out perfectly. The doctors were great, the nurse that came in and stayed with mom was a true blessing (she even told mom that she prays before every patient...mom told her they had all already been prayed for as well!), everything went smoothly.

What did they do? Well, no port in the neck, and no feeding tube. They numbed mom locally, then put a permanent IV into mom's upper right arm. Ben told me (as I am still out of town and have yet to see it) that it looks just like the port for an IV, only there are 2 tubes at the end...one for "feeding" and the other for medications...I think. Visiting nurses are coming to the house tomorrow to teach Arlene and possibly a caregiver how to keep it clean, how to use it for "feeding," and how to bath with it. We have to flush it out twice a day [I'm sure I'm using the wrong terms there!] and from here on out her baths have to be SUPER clean. The good news is, is that this should help mom tons. Arlene will be showed how to also use this to give mom small doses of meds to help keep her comfortable...and help with her breathing.

It's hard to believe all this has happened to my dear, wonderful, strong, mom. Most of you know her as one incredibly tough lady! She's never been a huge fan of doctors and hospitals [saw too much as a nurse!], so having to rely on them now is tough for her. However, she's doing great...and her positive attitude is a lesson for us all.

So, though a long, tough day, mom is home and resting well...and trying to get used to the new things in her arm. Thank you all for your prayers, I was pretty worried about today! Thanks also to our dear friends and neighbors...for their prayers were definitely felt. I'll be in touch again soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Oh, Martha, I'm so glad! I've been out of town for the last week and have not been able to get on the internet. I have to admit, I was a little worried about what I would see when I clicked over to your site. I'm so thankful that she is doing so well (or as well as can be expected) in your absense. Have a wonderful trip. I can't wait to hear about it!

Continuing with the thoughts and prayers,

Beth

July 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home