Saturday, July 12, 2008

More change, and not the good kind.

Well, much has happened here in the West household these past few days. My aunt and uncle left town for a break [and appointments in MN and to visit other family] and I've been here with mom and caregivers. Things were going really quite good. And then...more choking. Every time she moves [transfers to different chairs, to bed, etc.] more choking takes place. So not fun.

The past 3 days, it's been food...mom can still handle water, which isn't common for this disease, but food is starting to kick her butt. So, that food peg we knew we would need someday? Yeah, that day came and went...we need it now. I spent MANY hours on Friday trying to get Doctor offices to call me back regarding the severity of this issue. I've finally been emailing one back and forth, trying to figure out what to do here. We're trying to hold off until mom goes to see him on Tuesday, but not too sure if we're going to make it.

If we can't wait until Tuesday, then I'll have to take mom to the ER and we'll wait there until someone can do the procedure. However, mom loves hospitals about as much as I do, so I refuse to put her in there until we know when it'll take place! Prayers would be good...today scared the living daylights out of us both. She had at least 2 choking spells each hour during the day today. Those wear a person out! Her spells are more her gasping for air, trying to clear her throat of this sticky gunk, and me pushing on her diaphragm the whole time. They're just downright scary.

Whether we can make it until Tuesday or not, mom will be in the hospital sometime this week for the food peg, or stomach tube procedure. It will be an overnight stay in the hospital, another which mom isn't looking forward to. However, she knows she can't eat much anymore. We went to mostly liquids today, though tonight she was able to eat solids again [until we moved her that is]. This disease is just so weird! On the plus side, during the procedure, they'll knock mom out. The negative side is that once knocked out, they put her on a ventilator...and with her incredibly weak diaphragm, there's a huge chance she won't be able to wake up once it's all over. We just have to keep remembering, God is the author and giver of life...HIS will be done!

I'm supposed to be going out of town on Tuesday...I've had many mixed feelings about going. However, mom's told me multiple times that I need to go. I know that I do...school meetings for this fall start on Aug. 5th, and I need to be recharged for that, however...it's going to be hard to leave her. If something happens of the eternal kind, then I'll know God didn't want me here for it...just tough either way.

So...more life has happened here. I'm looking forward to being able to sleep...alot, but wish with all my heart I could help mom with her pain and discomfort. Also really REALLY wish we already had that stomach tube in! I can't believe how quickly things have changed.

On a happy note, mom just said, "Martha, I'm amazed at how good you are at brushing my teeth! I'm in a state of shock!!" Always the competitive one, I asked if I was up there with Arlene [a 50+ year nurse]. Her response? We're equal!!! I'm so glad...I have found an area that I am good at that doesn't completely turn my weak tummy! WooHoo!!!! Oh...I'm also really good at putting her glasses on her face. That's not an easy thing to do either. Try it sometime...harder than it looks! I am quite pleased that she prefers me to do the teeth over our caregivers...I feel needed! =) =)

I'll keep you all posted as much as possible...this sure has been a long, trying weekend...and it isn't over yet. Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers...we appreciate them greatly!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home