Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Update on my wonderful mom...

Hello there my dear family and friends...I am writing you from TX! {and yes, it's hot!} I didn't get the chance to tell you about my trip, but I'm flying in a ZERO [T-6, WWII replica of the Japanese Zero] from Houston, TX to Seattle, WA, doing a 2 day airshow [blowing stuff up! I do the same pyrotechnics my dad did]; then flying to Lethbridge, Canada where I get to be a tourist for a few days, then doing a 3 day airshow, then back home. I'll [post some pics tomorrow...got to get going...it's an early day tomorrow! I'm incredibly excited...as I LOVE flying in small planes! Plus, it's a lot of time to get my head back on straight before teaching this fall.

Here's the update on mom: we won't be putting a food peg into her after all. Mom and Arlene went the the coolest doctor today for a check up [i love this man, as he took me seriously and actually communicated to me this weekend!]. He did a lot of research on mom's condition and thought about mom all weekend. Basically, mom isn't able to get a food peg anymore...her muscles are too weak [and a whole bunch of other medical stuff in there]...and there was a HUGE chance that they wouldn't be able to wake her up after the procedure.

So, instead they are going to be putting a port into mom's next into a main vein; we will "feed" mom through IV's at night...slow drips, but full of the nutrients her body needs. She will still be able to eat when she wants to, but won't have to. There are a bunch of other things they will be trying as well, one being a very low dose of morphine to help keep mom more comfortable, and help with her breathing. This was a GREAT day...with good news. The fact that she even needs this is incredibly sad, however it's a quick, easy procedure...and she'll get to come home right away...with lower chances of her not making it through. This makes me happy! Oh, the Dr. also is giving her something else to help dry up the secretions in her mouth, so she doesn't choke. If all goes well, the fear of choking to death will be MUCH less!! What a nice man.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll try to get the more exact details for you all soon. Thursday or Friday is the day the port goes in...I'll let you know more when I do!
Thanks for keeping mom in your prayers...she did so good today! I'm daily amazed at her strong faith and generally positive attitude...I learn from her every day! What a great mom I have!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger pixelartist said...

I expect to see pics from the D200... lucky duck. Glad to hear of the news from the doc. Thanks for keeping us posted. R

July 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home