Saturday, August 2, 2008

I'm back!

Hello you all! Sorry I haven't been updating you...it was hard to get good Internet time while on the road. I made it home this past Wednesday safely and much more rested. I had an absolutely WONDERFUL time!!! What a great trip! I flew with one of my dearest friends, who happens to be an amazing pilot as well, and we had more fun that I could have imagined! We flew from Houston, TX to Tacoma, WA [where I got to play with my bombs at an airshow]. Then on to Lethbridge, Canada where we were tourists for 4 days [hiked to a waterfall, dinner in an old water tower, and more great pics than I know what to do with!] then did another airshow...yep, more bombs for me. =) What a great trip!!! I loved flying in formation, the loops and rolls, the views were absolutely breathtaking, and the company couldn't be beat!

So, update on my dear, wonderful mom. I was surprised that she made it through everything, but was so incredibly glad to see her again. What a special lady she is! She's doing ok...her right arm [where the pic line is] is doing well, however we have yet to use the darn thing. The reason? Medicare [oh the things I would love to tell them!] won't cover the cost of the feedings until a 'food peg' [stomach tube] has failed. Well, we WANTED the darn stomach tube, but by the time we jumped through all the hoops to get one of those, the Dr. office gave us an appointment a month away...which was too late. This darn disease moves fast...you would have thought that they would have taken that into consideration! ugh...doctors. So, since it was too late for the food peg, medicare and all the lovely rules they have say they won't cover the cost. This is crap!!!!! Mom's lung doctor [who has been absolutely wonderful] is trying to help us fight this. We understand that they have regulations, but there has to be room for the grey areas! sigh.

On Friday mom went to the hospital to have a test done where they took x-rays of her digestion. She had to eat eggs [microwaved egg beaters...she said they were chewy and gritty] with radioactive stuff in them to help her glow. The nurses wanted mom to go back alone, which I protested, saying she needed one of us. Well, they insisted, and took her back alone. They weren't gone a full minute when the young nurse came back and asked for one of us. You think they'd listen! ugh. ugh. hospitals stink! Mom was having an anxiety attack at the thought of being left alone...it wasn't fear for the test, but for the fact that she can't talk very well, so when she's uncomfortable or needing assistance, they wouldn't know. Arlene went back with mom for the 1.5 hr test, and I stayed in the waiting room...not very calmly at first I might add. Very few in the medical profession even know what this disease is. When they come across a "special" case/patient like mom, I just wish they'd listen to us the first time! There was no need to get mom worked up like that. No wonder she hates hospitals so much. She chokes quite a bit these days, so you have to have suction close by. Also, a small amount of oxygen helps calm her down as well. Oh, and when she starts coughing? You have to help her by pushing on her diaphragm. All these things those nurses didn't know about. sigh. Poor mom.

She's definitely gotten weaker, more frail, and is coughing a lot more. She's still able to eat soft foods so she has some sort of energy level, but the end looks like it's approaching, which is depressing to say the least. It's so hard to watch someone I love so much go through so much. We know God's still in control, but it's tough to understand some days. I knew coming back would be a reality check...I hit the ground running! School meetings start up this next week, which will add some more things to do...just in case we didn't feel we had enough! I'll be working full time this fall. I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be a challenge to teach the kiddos and deal with mom when I come home. But, I need to work. So, hooray for more challenges! =)

Mom's spirits are for the most part up, all things considered. I know it was a long 2 weeks with me gone, and Arlene is beyond exhausted. However, somehow we are all hanging in here. Oh! Mom's sister Doreen got to come into town for a few days while I was gone. It was great for the 3 sisters to spend time together! What sweet spirits they all are!

Well, that's about it for here. Mom's starting to choke, so must go help her. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers...they are greatly appreciated! I'll let you know how we're doing in the next few days here!

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing okay for the time being. Also excited for you to start teaching? What will you be teaching? Music? Elementary? Secondary? I know that you enjoy it and I'm glad you will be able to have your own classroom again!

August 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home