Monday, August 11, 2008

Yet more change...

We know God is the author and giver of life...and that He has a plan in all of this, we just don't know what it is [though I would LOVE to know!]...but this is tough. Mom's definitely worse. Her body is shutting down, which is beyond painful to watch. I wish I could do more to help her be more comfortable.

So...what's new...Friday night started off the not-so-good stuff. She didn't sleep well, which will wear anyone out, and was waking up with bad headaches. Plus, eating became beyond difficult. We started IV "feedings" [expensive stuff...evil Medicare...thanks for the help! geesh], but she still has the sensation of being hungry...though it is drastically getting less and less. Sunday was a day full of choking...literally, non-stop. She'd cough and use the suction machine for about 15-30 min, then have about 15 min free, then start all over again. Literally, all day. Poor mom.

Last night [Sunday] mom slept pretty well, but aspirated on water [basically, choked]. She was able to eat a little bit today [I went out and got organic baby food for her this weekend...very smooth, easier for her to swallow], but even that's getting to be too much. Basically, her throat is shutting down. I can honestly say that this is the toughest thing I've ever gone through. Mom is absolutely miserable. She's exhausted, but can't sleep...every 10 min she's either choking or has insanely dry mouth. Plus there's the fact that her seat or back is always sore. Her speech/talking capabilities are basically at a whisper...because her diaphragm is so weak. It's hard to believe that a little over a year ago she was walking alone. ALS sucks.

That's pretty much what's going on here. I've started school stuff...meetings, time to get class in order, etc....but am ready to stay home if need be. I have an amazing principal and staff, who are incredibly supportive. I'd like to get as much done at school as possible, so when things do get worse, I'm prepared for them. Except for a few hours a day, we have a caregiver here to help us throughout the day. We're all exhausted...sleep in short shifts...but we're all more than willing to do so. We're just so glad we can be here to help.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts, emails, cards, and continuous prayers. They are truly felt and appreciated! Pray for mom's comfort level...she's so incredibly uncomfortable. Plus, she gets panic attacks that the medications don't seem to touch for very long. Such a tough road my dear mom is on... Thanks again...God bless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Your blog was forwarded to me by Judy Shetter. I don't know if you remember me or not. I am Anne Gaglia but was Rader while financial aid director at Bryan from 1997-2003. I am praying for both of you ladies and your family. I remember when your mom when skydiving in tandem and showed us the pictures. I thought she was incredibly brave. But what you and she are going through now is the real example of bravery.

August 12, 2008 at 6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home