Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday, 9-3

Last night Ben, Cortney and Caleb decided to stay the night so they could be closer to mom. Cortney stayed on the couch, with her two men making "nests" on the floor! Caleb loves, absolutely LOVES making 'nests' with blankets and pillows, and was quite excited about getting to stay over with "Uncle Marta." [we've tried to get him to say aunt...at the last attempt, he said, 'but Marta, I'M a BOY!' Hard to fight that kinda logic! So, uncle marta it is =)]

I sat up with mom pretty late [as did Dave...he fell asleep holding her hand..again], then went to bed [we still have caregivers coming in so we can step away for a bit]. Ben got up at 5 and took his turn sitting in with mom. As I write this, he's back in there reading "Tales of the Kingdom" and "Tales of the Resistance" by David Mains [mom read those to us at the dinner table when we were younger...plus, we had the stories on tape! David [our dave] said David Mains' voice still puts him to sleep!]. Earlier this morning mom's pulse dropped, so Arlene got Ben up. It didn't take too long before her pulse was back up. [so they let Dave and I try to sleep] Ben walked in and said he'd sit up with her anyway. Mom's always been such a fighter and a strong woman, we really shouldn't be too surprised that her heart is still so strong. But how we ache for her being in this position...we want her to enjoy Heaven!

Last night 2 girlfriends stopped by with batteries [for the fan next to mom's bed...the air flow helps her breathe] and with blizzards for Dave and I...Ben wasn't here yet]. It was so good to see these two! [Plus, ice cream always helps. =)] They were a huge help after Dad passed away, and these two helped David redecorate the bedroom for mom when I brought her back. We all have busy lives, but they know how to be there when you really need them. Thanks ladies!

This morning 2 ladies from my school dropped by with arms full of food...some for now, some for the freezer for when we need it. I did really well while they were here, but after they left? Broke down and just cried. I was telling mom all about the supportive school I am a part of [which I knew it was going to be...mom was SO glad I got this school! Called it a HUGE answer to prayer!!]. While telling her, I kinda lost it. She so wanted to be a part of me teaching...help decorate for the Christmas show, help me come up with fun lessons, etc. I know her heart was hurting for having to leave us so soon. A bunch of the staff brought in all kinds of food for us...much that can be frozen and brought out now or when things calm down and eating is the last thing we want to do. How thankful I am for my school! The past two weeks work has kicked my butt...it's just too much with everything with mom...but now? How incredibly thankful I am for them all.

Well, I'm headed in to sit next to mom. While she was still able to talk to us a bit, she told me thank you for sitting here...as she struggles to breathe, she's just scared...understandably! I know it's comforting to her to have us kids by her side. How we pray she'll just slip away in her sleep. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers...will write more later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Uncle Marta. Too cute! Again so thankful for you that you have such support around. I also wanted you to know that my small group from church is praying for all of you as well. So know that there is a small group in Lubbock, Texas thinking about and praying for you!

September 3, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home